httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Harry Xu" <ha...@faith-inc.com>
Subject RE: Installing 1.3.22 on Solaris 8
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:20:53 GMT
Thank you very much!
It works.
I'v successfully installed apache after re-installed the gcc2.95.3.

Thanks again!

Harry

-----Original Message-----
From: dmccabe@dna.mcgill.ca [mailto:dmccabe@dna.mcgill.ca]On Behalf Of David
McCabe
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 2:15 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Installing 1.3.22 on Solaris 8

Harry Xu wrote:

> /usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccDqZ0yd.s", line 3318: error: unknown opcode
> ".subsection"

> I am using gcc3.0.3, what is the problem? can somebody help me?

Ok, you are using GCC 3.x from GNU, and the as (assembler) from Sun. The
docs
for GCC 3.x explicitly tell you that you _cannot_ use the other Sun compiler
tools with GCC 3.x. You _must_ install and use the GNU compiler tools,
meaning
their gas, and gmake, and everything else.

If you don't want to do that, (like me:) then use GCC 2.95.x. That is what I
use, (2.95.3 in Solaris Package format from sunfreeware.com, available for
Solaris 6, 7, and 8) and Apache 1.3.19, 1.3.20, 1.3.22, and 1.3.23 all
compile
and run fine on Solaris 8, in either dynamic or static builds.

--
David McCabe                    Senior Systems Analyst
Network and Communications Services, McGill University