httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Travis Valentine" <t...@valentinefamily.net>
Subject Redirecting request for images
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:53:20 GMT
Apache Masters,

I have searched around, but cannot find the answer I need. (Due to the fact
I am not sure what I am looking for!!)  Perhaps someone here can help.

I am setting up a development server several people are going to use to edit
and change a existing block of html code.  Each person needs a personal copy
of the code and images so that the changes they make will not affect any
other users code, including images.  For simplicity, I have created each
user a directory under /var/www/html/users/ on a RedHat Linux 7.2 box.  I
have set the Document root for Apache at /var/www/html/users/.  I then place
a copy of the code in each directory for users to access. (All users are
internal to the company and accessing the code via Samba, so where it is on
the box is not an issue.)

The problem is that the existing html code all references images with a
preceding / so that the pages expect the images to come from
/var/www/html/users/images (i.e. going back to the Document root), as
opposed to /var/www/html/users/jgordon/images (or whatever).  It would be
extremely difficult (hundreds of pages) to go back and fix it just to work
in the development environment.

In any case, I was wondering if there was a way to tell apache to send
images back from the correct users directory.  A type of redirect, etc.
Sorry I am being so vague, but I am not sure what the right path to go down
is.  I am open to any ideas including changing the file structure.  Any
ideas on getting everyone their own copy?

Thanks for the help.

Travis

P.S.  I also want to know if anyone can show me how to run Apache as root.
lol :)