httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Keith Thompson" <keith_g_thomp...@hotmail.com>
Subject Problem with Apache Alias on Windows NT to mapped drive
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 22:26:10 GMT
First, please note the following:

I am a new apache user.  However, I've got my site running well, using
various various technologies like MySQL & Perl scripting.
I've read the manuals.
I've looked in the FAQ.
I've searched google.com
I've searched a few of the archives all to no avail.

Now, my question / issue:

I am using Apache 1.3.23 on Windows NT 4.0 sp6a.  I am trying to use the
Alias directive to redirect a particular link in my site to a mapped drive
"M:/" (I don't have the space for it's contents on my current server) and
get the following error in my error.log:

[Fri Mar 01 14:11:33 2002] [error] [client 192.168.123.100] (22)Invalid
argument: Can't open directory for index: m:/

Web browser returns a "Forbidden" error:

You don't have permission to access /swimmer_site/pics/ on this server.

My httpd.conf file has a set of directives in it like this:

    Alias /swimmer_site/pics/ "M:/"

    <Directory "M:/">
        Options Indexes
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

Additional info:

M:\ is a mapped drive to a Windows XP machine on the same network who has
provided full permissions to all users.  I can navigate through  this
directory fine using standard windows/dos interface (e.g. DIR cmd and
Network Neighborhood).

This technique works successfully when I use Alias to map to different local
drive (e.g. D:\, my CD rom).  I suspect that this may be an Windows/NT
issue, but am not sure.

Please let me know if there is another technique for achieving my goal or
how to resolve the current mapping / permissions issue.

Thank you,

Keith Thompson