httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: IP logging problem
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:12:20 GMT
oh, and another thing...
you could try getting and using..
dyndns.org

http://www.dyndns.org
check it out...I use it...

-----Original Message-----
From: rabaker@att.net [mailto:rabaker@att.net]
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 3:49 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: IP logging problem

Help!  I'm definitely an Apache novice and I would
vastly appreciate any help someone can give me.

I'm running Apache 1.3.22 on a Mac OS X Server.  It
seems that Apache is logging my IP address
instead of the client's IP address.  I looked in the
config file and my domain is set up as a virtual host,
so I'm wondering if that is the problem.  I originally
set it up using Apple's Mac OS X Server Admin
application.  But, that app is unfortunately very limited
in its scope.

I have found that I now have a script kiddie trying to
break into my machine, although it's obviously an
attempt to break IIS, since the script is attempting to
access .exe files and win32 directories (glad I'm not
on IIS).  Although this isn't really causing a problem
for me, I'd still love to pass the IP of the perpetrator
onto my ISP.

Some potentially pertinent information is that I'm on
a cable modem with a  dynamic IP which doesn't
resolve to any specific domain name.  I haven't
monkeyed with the logging, it's a standard logging
set-up ("%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b").

I'm sure this is something very basic that anyone
who administers Apache should know and has
probably been covered by this forum many times in
the past.  I appreciate any illumination anyone can
give me.

Rich Baker