httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Haugh <ke...@earthlink.net>
Subject FTP Security
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:27:46 GMT
This may be a little off topic, forgive me.

I'm new to Apache & Red hat, but things are going well so far.  I've got
Apache up and running and all my directory mapping is working great.  My
concern now is limiting access via FTP.  I want my users to be able to
connect to their public_html directory and that is about it.

As it is now, once connected they can browse around, download, and view
almost any file on the server.  They cannot change or delete anything, but
they can look around and download files via the FTP client.

At this point I don't really need to provide anonymous or guest FTP access,
I just want my users to be able upload and alter web pages.  I've been
looking around for a basic FTP security "How-to" and can't seem to find
anything that does the trick.

Any help, even if its just pointing me to a resource, would be greatly
appreciated.

FYI:
Red Hat 7.2
Apache 1.3