httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Apache and OS X (10.1.2)
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:37:06 GMT
PMFJI:

I host on Unix, MacOS X is sort of Unix-like to a high degree - but alas is
NOT true Unix.

Allow me to fill out key parts to this thread:

The /private/etc/httpd directory is where the httpd.conf is lohnnnhn
nnnn/s2.210000ated

/usr/sbin/httpd is the Apache applicaion

/Library/Webserver/* is the location of both the htdoc root called
/Library/WebServer/Documents and /Library/WebServer/CGI* is the area you
publish your CGI script into

All of this mess is owned by root:wheel  -  Your systems default user is
likely in the wheel group; but it is unknown whether you actually enabled
the root user - that must be authenticated via
Applications:Utilities:NetInfo Manager - then off the
Domain:Security:Authenticate menu tab.

Note that to access the hidden /private area you will either need to learn
to use Terminal or purchase and use BBEdit for OSX.

After all that you will find Apache under OSX functions the same as Apache
on other platforms - mostly.

HTH;
-Sx-  :]