httpd-users mailing list archives

From Max Clark <max.cl...@ussearch.com>
Subject RE: help on htaccess/htpasswd
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:28:55 GMT
In your httpd.conf, there are "Directory" blocks that will define how
authorization is handled. If allowoverride is set to none (setting to "all"
will work, there are some performance hits), apache will not look for an
htaccess file.

Try setting your AuthUserFile to the complete path, you shouldn't need the
group file defined.

Max.

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Test"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/logs/htmlFiles/.htpasswd

<Limit GET POST>
  require valid-user
</Limit>

-----Original Message-----
From: LeTortorec, Jean-Louis [mailto:JLeTortorec@healthcore.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 8:16 AM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: help on htaccess/htpasswd

Hi there.

I'm trying to protect a particular folder of my website.
For that, I created a .htaccess file in that folder:

	AuthUserFile /.../html/.htpasswd
	AuthGroupFile /dev/null
	AuthName "My folder"
	AuthType Basic
	<Limit GET POST>
	require valid-user
	</Limit>

And then I created the /.../html/.htpassd:
	/usr/local/apache/bin/htpasswd -c .htpasswd newusername

Now I have .htpasswd, .htaccess, and the following line in httpd.conf:
		AccessFileName .htaccess

		<Files ~ "^\.ht">
		    Order allow,deny
		    Deny from all
		    Satisfy All
		</Files>

I guess I forgot something because the protection does not work. I should
have a pop-up window asking me for my username and password. Any help? (the
Apache log files do not help)

Thanks.

About the previous question on subdomains, I'm working on it with my ISP.
I'll keep you posted.