httpd-users mailing list archives

From Max Clark <max.cl...@ussearch.com>
Subject Tokenizing httpd.conf
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:46:09 GMT
I maintain a load balanced server garden (after seeing part of AltaVista's
site I will never consider anything I have a farm) with about a dozen
servers. Previously I was able to run name based virtual hosting and my
configuration across the servers was identical. With the requirement to run
multiple ssl sites with different certificates I have been pushed into IP
based virtual hosting. While the servers still work flawlessly,
administration has increased in complexity, and the potential for errors is
greater.

Is there a way in the configuration file that instead of defining the IP
address for the Virtual host, that I could define the Ethernet interface
instead, and have apache bind to whatever IP was on that interface? I.e.
instead of placing "10.2.1.12" in the configuration file, using "eth0:1"
instead? This would allow me to use a single configuration file that I could
track revisions on, instead of the individual customizations per server that
I am forced to perform today.

Thanks in advance,
Max

NameVirtualHost x.x.x.1