httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Casas, Claudia" <CCa...@utep.edu>
Subject RE: need a more general solution
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:41:08 GMT
Thanks for your help! This actually was the last thing I needed to test in
my linux server to be able to migrate all my web accounts currently in
windows. : )

I will read more about the reference you suggested, I am sure I will find
out more tricks. As you already had mentioned to me, I actually cannot view
my documentroot. I would really appreciate if you could help me out with
this. My documentroot is going to be one of the accounts in my /home
directory, but if it is necessary, I can put it in the apache directory as
well. Now, it is located in /home/main/www

DocumentRoot "/home/main/www"

I would like to be able to access the above directory just by typing :
http://www.mydomain.com

Thanks again!

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 3:50 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: need a more general solution

Casas, Claudia wrote:
> After looking around some configuration examples, I finally know of a
> solution on how to get rid of the tilde in a web account that is not
> located in the apache root directory.

> Alias /students  /home/students/www/

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/urlmapping.html

You can do
AliasMatch ^/([^/]*)/?(.*) /home/$1/www/$2

But then it will be impossible to access your documentroot.  The whole
point of the "~" is to designate requests that go to a different part of
the filesystem and differentiate them from requests for the
documentroot.  If you still need to be able to access your documentroot,
please let us know how you want to differentiate between user-directory
requests and documentroot requests.  Then I may be able to help further.

Joshua.