httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan <jon_l...@driftwood.net>
Subject Dumb compile question - on live server?
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 15:16:50 GMT
We have a production RH 6.2 server with RH's "Secure Web" server, and need
to recompile Apache to include Front Page extensions for a client.

Dumb question to some, I know, but I'm compelled & paranoid enough to ask:

Can we safely compile & install the newest verion of Apache (1.3.23) on a
live - in production - web server?   Is it really as simple as installing
the fresh sources, config/make/install the binary, and restarting
Apache?  We really only seem to need mod_ssl, mod_perl and FP; but can't
get FP witout recompiling.

Anxious to not interupt the active sites on the server, nor paint ourselves
into a corner via overwriting anything.  But I would rather avoid having to
build up a new box, doing the compile, and migrating the sites manually.

It'll be my first Apache compile (yeah!).  On a twin 1.7g CPU, 1-gig RAM,
UW-SCSI firebreather.  So any relevant optimization (or links to) settings
anyone can recommend for twin-CPU boxes would be also sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon