httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Apache pid keeps changing
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:15:12 GMT
Radhika Sambamurti wrote:

> Hi,
> I am running apache 1.3.20 and mentioned previously that
> the apache pid keeps changing. from my monitoring script I
> found that apache's pid changed sometime today between 8:15
> and 8:45. The consistent message that keeps appearing is as
> below: the fcntl: F_SETLKW....
>
> [Thu Mar 21 08:36:15 2002] [emerg] (9)Bad file number:
> fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error getting accept lock, exiting!
> Perhaps you need to use the LockFile directive to place
> your lock file on a local disk!
> [Thu Mar 21 08:36:15 2002] [alert] Child 19138 returned a
> Fatal error...
> Apache is exiting!
>
> This server is not running any nfs file system and apache
> was not configured with the lockfile directive. We are
> running jrun on jre. could any of this be causing the
> apache pid to change. I have looked at all the cron jobs
> and apart from system maintenance, there is nothing
> affecting apache.

Did you read the docs on LockFile? It has a default so you get it even
if you don't define it... And you must have your lockfile on a local
disk. Is your logs directory on a network (not necessarily nfs-mounted)?

What is happening is that apache is dying because of this and then being
restarted. That is why the PID is changed. You need to stop it dying by
fixing the problem with the lockfile.

Rgds,

owen Boyle.