httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts and <Directory /home/user1>
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:50:06 GMT
Lewis Watson wrote:

>  Also, while doing some reading Linux Apache Web Server Administration
> published by Sybex I found where this guy recommends using the
> <Directory /home/wherever> as little as possible. I actually wanted
> to have one,  even though they might be similar, for each virtual host.
> Does this cause a  problem with performance or what would be the
> reasoning behind it?

What *was* his reasoning behind it?

Or did he just say "don't use <Directory>..." with no explanantion?

AFAIK, <Directory>, like <Files> and <Location>, is just a way of
ascribing attributes to files. In other words, these directives are used
to build a rulebase of what can and cannot be done when a request
arrives for a file.

I can't think of any reason *not* to use <Directory> - unless "the guy"
didn't like this method of refering to files.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.