httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Is someone using my server as a proxy...?
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:29:20 GMT
Meph Istopheles wrote:
>   Hey,
>
>   I'm confused.  This is the second entry I've found in my access
> log talling me that someone's requested Yahoo via my server.
> Google only leads me to suspect it's proxy related, but that
> sounds really silly to me, as I can't imagine why someone would
> choose an arbitrary server as a proxy.
>
>   Here's what's in the log:
>
> 210.196.136.172 - - [17/Mar/2002:07:52:24 -0800] "GET
> http://www.yahoo.com/ HTTP/1.1" 200 1960
>
>   What, exactly, is this about?

Someone needs to write a FAQ for this.  Any volunteers?

Most likely, the person trying to abuse your server is not being
successful.  To confirm that, you should do two things:

1. Check your httpd.conf and assure that you DO NOT have "ProxyRequests On".

2. Try it yourself:
telnet yourhost.example.com 80
GET http://www.yahoo.com/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.yahoo.com[enter][enter]

If you get your own home page back, then you are safe.

(Even easier, if the size of your home page is 1960 bytes, you are
probably safe, given the log entry.)

Joshua.