httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: writing log files under different mode
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:24:59 GMT
> Perhaps I don't know enough about *nix environments, but the log
> files are
> set with the following perms: rw-r--r--  For my purpose, I need to
> run a
> script that runs under a different account than root (I don't have root
> permissions) that writes to the file.

The log-files are owned by whoever *starts* apache. This is often root,
but can be any user if the ports used are greater than 1024. They get
the permissions as defined by the umask of that user (do "$ umask" to
see what they're set to). Either change umask ($ man umask for details)
or, if the files already exist, just change them with "chmod" - probably
you want to make them group-writeable (usually root has group "other")
then make your user a member of "other". Note that if the files are
owned by root, you need root access to do any of this - otherwise,
forget it.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.