httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jack Baty <jb...@fusionary.com>
Subject Re: digest authentication problem
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:19:30 GMT
vlady wrote:
> The problem is that for any reason just one specific user of the
> authorized users is able to connect to "htdocs" dir, cinse for the
> "cgi-bin" directory there is no problem. I spend a lot of time creating
[-- snip --]

Could this be a browser issue?  This is unfamiliar territory for me, but a
recent eWeek article describes an incompatibility with certain browsers (IE)
and the digest authentication used by Apache.

    "The upshot is that IE cannot be used as a Web client for any
    Apache-based Web application that uses digest authentication. In
    addition, every non-IE browser we tested couldn't be used as a client for
    any Internet Information Services-based Web application that uses digest
    authentication. (We tested this with Mozilla.org's Mozilla 0.9.9, Opera
    Software ASA's Opera 6.01 and the W3C's reference browser implementation
    Amaya; Netscape Communications Corp.'s Navigator doesn't currently
    support digest authentication. Static Web pages are not affected by the
    problem.) "

Complete article here:

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=702&a=24177,00.asp

--