httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: Web Services & Apache
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:33:16 GMT

> Thanks Daniel. Just to confirm this before I go to my boss and tell him we
> don't need an expensive app server, do you know of a web services
> application deployed on a simple Apache-Tomcat server ? IBM was in here
> last week and they said that we need an app server (such as WebSphere
> obviously) for deploying web services.

The requirement for a full fledged J2EE application server is related to the
complexity of the project. Most projects (including many enterprise ones) do
not have that requirement. I know of many organizations that paid for
expensive application servers from WebLogic, IBM, Oracle just to use them as
servlet containers. Don't get me wrong, I think WebLogic and the others are
fine pieces of software I just think that it is a waste of money for the
subset people end up using them,

I would go with Tomcat + other Apache Jakarta projects (where IBM is actively
contributing and using in their Websphere product) In the case that you need
EJBs, I would seriously consider JBoss (http://www.jboss.org) as well

If you need to 'buy' the software because of political reasons at work or
because you want commercial support I would consider either going with
Covalent, who sells a server that includes Tomcat and Apache (disclaimer, I
work for Covalent) or go to the Orion guys which have a full j2ee
implementation at a reasonable price (http://www.orionserver.com/) and is
what the Oracle Application Server is based on.

Cheers

Daniel