httpd-users mailing list archives

From Luke Scharf <lsch...@ee.vt.edu>
Subject mod_auth, .htaccess - what am I missing?
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:22:35 GMT
I'm attempting to set up standard mod_auth authentication with a
.htaccess file and a password file.  We have a similar setup from our
old server, which worked great.

So, whenever I try to authenticate against my .htpasswd file, the
following message shows up in error_log:

> [Tue Mar 12 18:16:52 2002] [error] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
> access to /~lscharf/private failed for 128.173.88.79, reason:
> Authentication failure

My <Directory> tag is typical:
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
ExecCGI
>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Limit>
>     <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>

and my .htaccess is simple:
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "blankityblank"
> AuthUserFile /home/lscharf/.htpasswd
> require user yoda

Am I missing anything?
Can I get more informative debugging information that what show up in
error_log?

Thanks in advance!
-Luke

--