httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Paddy Verberne" <pa...@home.nl>
Subject mod rewrite, reverse proxy and load balancing (second post)
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:01:15 GMT
Hi,

Does anyone have the answer to the following?

Proposed configuration:
1 (one) apache-server connected to the internet with mod_rewrite to be able
to provide reverse proxy to 2 (two) or more intranet webservers.

Question:
Can I be sure that once a client has connected through the apache-server to
an internal webserver, all requests from that client will be redirected to
that same server for the duration of the session?

What I think:
As long as I don't use session-based cookies or another mechanism to ensure
that the apache-server knows what server to pick for a particular client for
the duration of a session, it will redirect randomly to the available
intranet webservers.

Any thoughts you want to share with me?

B.T.W. I've used mod_rewrite before to perform a similar trick using 1 (one)
intranet webserver.

Best regards.

Paddy Verberne