httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Darin Holloway" <jdhollo...@blue.net>
Subject Re: Running one or more concurrent websites?
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:38:30 GMT
>From your description, it looks like there will not be a difference in the
content of the two document trees, am I correct in this assumption?  If I
am, the question of why comes to mind?  If its a disk performance issue,
moving to scsi, raid, or scsi and raid would be your best bets.  If the two
apps have different content,  then perhaps
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html is what you are looking
for to make the urls appear the same, but the homepage could be a cgi/jsp
that does this.

Broken perl implementation
<--index.cgi-->

grep access_log
if ($line ~= index.cgi){
$loads++
}

#  If app2 is loaded when evenly divisible by 5, you get the 80/20 split you
mentioned in your post

if($loads%5 == 0){
output html code for app2 homepage
}
else{
    output app1 homepage
}
<--end index.cgi-->

Then have a rewrite rule to clean up the urls.

Anyone else want to comment?

John Darin Holloway
Bluegrass Network, LLC