httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Schneegans <Christ...@Schneegans.de>
Subject Re: qs values in conjunction with MultiViews
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:40:26 GMT
Ken Coar wrote:

> My impression is that HTTP does not forbid qvalue parameters
> in Content-Type fields, but they may be of limited utility.
> They *do* make sense in at least one situation: a resource
> with an overall media type of multipart/alternative.

I don't expect clients or proxies to have a benefit of qs values. But
there's no doubt that they're very useful for server side content
negotiation. Without qs values in the AddType directive, you would need
.var files to assign a source quality.

For example, I'd like to use

  Options +MultiViews
  AddType text/html;charset=iso-8859-1;qs=1.000 .html
  AddType application/xhtml+xml;iso-8859-1;qs=0.999 .xhtml

to serve XHTML documents as "application/xhtml+xml" to browsers that
accept this MIME type (i.e. Mozilla). The qs values are strictly
necessary for browsers like IE that contain "*/*" in their Accept
header but don't support xHTML.

BTW, you can see this example at
<http://schneegans.de/temp/qs-multiviews>. Using IE, you'll get the
HTML variant. Using Mozilla, you'll get the XHTML variant.