httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: AuthName realm does not work correctly
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:12:28 GMT

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Terry Davis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a few different directories that I have .htaccess in.
>
> I have the same "AuthName" for each directory.
> If I login to one, shouldnt it NOT ask me for the username and password since I
> authenticated for that realm already?
[snip]
> I have the exact same .htaccess for another directory but it asks me to
> authenticate again.
>
> Any ideas?

To start, it is really completely at the discretion of the browser whether
it reprompts or not.  You can only give clues.  So you should try with
multiple browsers and make sure you have the same behavior.

One thing to check is that you are accessing the two directories under
EXACTLY the same hostname.  If you access one as example.com and another
as www.example.com (even if these are, in fact, exactly the same site),
the browser must ask again for the password.

Joshua.