httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: protecting a CDROM drive
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:35:23 GMT

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Admin wrote:

> I would try...creating a directory, with a page inside ...that has a
> link to the
> cd rom drive...then just use htaccess within that directory...so  the
> public
> must first be able to access that directory...before accessing the link
> the cdrom...simple huh?
>
> From: Andrew Edmundson [mailto:andrew@edmundson.com]
>
> hi im using apache 2 on win32 and have created a alias for my CDROM
> drive that maps to its root, is there any way of password protecting
> this rather than using htaccess because this would mean me havin to burn
> the htaccess and passwd files to the cdrom too

Hmmm, bad idea IMHO.  Very easy to break through that.

There are two easy ways to provide proper protection.  Instead of placing
the auth directives in an .htaccess file, simply place them in the main
httpd.conf inside either a <Directory> section or a <Location> section.
Use <Directory> with the physical path, or <Location> with the web path.

Joshua.