httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: ErrorDocument Internal Link
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:52:36 GMT

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, SSleeper wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem, I added
>
> ErrorDocument 404 /nf.cfm
>
> Should work, but it did not in IE, however it did work in NS (Netscape), I
> add a .htaccess file to the root, and added
>
> ErrorDocument 404 /nf.cfm.
>
> This too, does the same thing, works for NS, but not IE, IE gets the 404.
>
> Through testing, we found that files over 500K, would work with IE the first
> time, but not again till the file was physically replaced. So it appears
> that IE can be fouled, at least once, with a speculative 512k file size, but
> with it not working after the first time, it does not help alot.

I assume you mean 500 bytes rather than 500K.  In fact, MSIE ignores error
messages that are "too small".  This is a browser problem not a server
problem.  The fact that IE goes back to the old error message after the
first time is probably a caching issue.  If not, it is surely another
browser issue.

If you want to see what apache is actually sending (as opposed to what
MSIE is showing you), you can try

telnet yourhost 80
GET /path/to/noexistant/file HTTP/1.0
Host: yourhost[enter][enter]

> I feel the Apache server is out of wack, with this inconsistant behavour.
> IIS runs this config just fine, with any file size, MS talking to MS, but it
> can't seem to get around sniffing the 404 from Apache.

There is a certain HTTP header you can send to turn off the MSIE behavior
of ignoring error messages.  IIS probably sends this by default.  Apache
chooses not to adopt stupid IIS standards.

Joshua.