httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hasanuddin Tamir <...@trabas.com>
Subject Re: Funny stuff in my logs (last call :-) )
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 01:27:47 GMT
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Scott Haneda <lists@newgeo.com> wrote,

> on 2/9/02 9:15 PM, Steven Pierce at pagedev1@speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> > Sorry that I could not be more help.  One issue that I had thought of
> > is that are you having it look for a file that is not there.  Have you also
> > tried to access the site with a machine and see if there is a specific place
> > you go when the error happens??
> >
> > I was thinking that maybe someone is trying to access the site and
> > it is going to a page that is not there...
>
> Thanks for the help Steven
>
> Here is a summarization of where I am at now....
>
> First I did a grep -r 'statfs\ failed' \r /
> To see if any files on the entire apache server had that line in it, if it
> did, I could see where any why it was reporting this to to apache log,
> nothing showed up.
>
> I thought maybe it was in a binary and I would not be able to read it with
> grep, so off to download the source :-)
>
> Got source on Perl, Php, Apache
> Grepped out all those, and nothing at all either.
>
> I ran tail on the error_log while watching the site requests, and I saw
> nothing that correspnds with the lines in the error logs.
>
> Geberally, a apachectl graceful, will restart the server, and then, in about
> 15 seconds, I get 4 lines in the error_log
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
> statfs failed because: No such file or directory
>
> Then nothing for a while, maybe 5 minutes, then a few more, sometimes more
> than 4, sometimes less.
>
> Had a few friends look into their error logs, all on OSX 10.1, and they also
> are having this as well.  I am going to make a guess here, all apple OSX
> boxes are going to have this, any ideas where to go next?

The last thing I can think of is statfs is the name of C function.  So I
tried 'man statfs' in my Linux box. Here is the first sentence from
DESCRIPTION section: "statfs  returns  information about a mounted file
system".

If this is your case, the question is: what is it trying to stat.

hth
--
san->http(www.trabas.com)