httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Parlane" <m...@zevi.net>
Subject RE: Apache crashing/generating errors on Win32 when 404 encountered
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:49:32 GMT
Hiya...

I am replying to myself because I fixed my own problem...    :)

Belive it or not, Apache was not crashing because of anything to do with
404s, that was my mistaken diagnosis - it was in fact crashing because of
PHP output bufferring.
I didn't run enough test to determine exactly what part of output buffering
was the cause, but the problem went away when I decreased the amount of
information that was being buffered.

The data was being passed to a user defined function for string
replacement - maybe that was the problem - very strange though that it
caused Apache to die...

Anyway - thanks for the help.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Parlane [mailto:matt@zevi.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 19 February 2002 5:35 p.m.
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Apache crashing/generating errors on Win32 when 404 encountered

Howdy...

Hopefully the subject line explained it... but I'll explain a bit more
anyway.

I have been using IIS5 up until recently, and have now switched to Apache
because of the recent bombings on IIS, and also because I find it's
basically unreliable.

Apache is running fine with PHP 4.1.1, but I have one site for which I want
a 404 error to be handled by a PHP script, and Apache keeps giving errors
when it encounters the 404.
It adds an error to the error log, and it also throws a dialog box on the
screen of the server saying
"Apache.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows\nYou will
need to restart the program\n\nAn error log is being created."

The problem is that the files of course don't exist, but that's the point of
the 404 being handled by PHP - it acts upon it accordingly.

I don't mind the error being added to the error log, but even if I turn off
error logging, I still get the error message on the server, and processing
of the page stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt Parlane