httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: Enabling directory browsing throughout server?
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:43:53 GMT

> From: Stephen Clarke [mailto:any@longusername.worldonline.co.uk]

I think that this (very new) FAQ could help you:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#options

In general, if you want directory browsing everywhere, then you need to make
sure that "Includes" is included in the root directory Options line, and in
every other options line in the config file.

A possible alternative is to add

<Location />
Options +Includes
</Location>

Since <Location> is evaluated after <Directory>, it should override any
other Options set in <Directory> sections.

Also, you should check the error log to see if it is the "Options" setting
that is the problem, or if something else is wrong.

> 1. I've searched for <files ~> and it's not there. Instead, I found
> <Files ~ "^\.ht">
>     Order allow,deny
>     Deny from all
> </Files>
> so i changed Deny from all, to Allow from all. No good. Still
> says forbidden
> on this server.

Oooo.  Don't do that.  Protection for .htacess files has nothing to do with
directory browsing.

> 2. I've gone into window and enabled web sharing and directory sharing for
> all comers. No good.

That also doesn't sound like a good idea.

> 6. I've tried changing that to AllowOverride All.

That isn't necessary unless you are using .htaccess files for your
configuration.

> My version of Apache is 1.3.14.

An upgrade would be a great idea.  The win32 version has improved a great
deal since then.

Joshua.