httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: httpd.conf
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:57:28 GMT

> From: Guy Speier [mailto:guys@firstlogic.com]
> I have recently created an Apache web server on my local LAN (linux 7.2
> FYI).  I changed the domainname and machine name of this server, made some
> modifications to httpd.conf and all was well.  When I try to access the
> server from outside my Firewall, it just hangs.

Can you access the site properly from inside the firewall?  If so, it is
almost certainly a firewall configuration problem.

> So, I have a <mydomain.org> (external IP address) that forwards port 80
> traffic to <www.mydoain.org>.  What stanzas should I have in httpd.conf?
> Should they have my internal info (internal machine name,
> internal IP, -or-
> external machine name, external IP)?

In general Apache doesn't need to know anything about your IP address or
hostname.  The only exceptions are if you are running virtual hosts, and the
ServerName directive.  To assure that the ServerName directive is not
causing you problems, I suggest setting "UseCanonicalName Off".  See the
docs for a description of what this does.  Also make sure you aren't using
any BindAddress or Listen directives to restrict the IP addresses that
Apache is listening to.

Joshua.