httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: Content negotiation problem - returning the default variant
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:34:32 GMT

> From: Milan Trninic [mailto:mtrninic@galdosinc.com]

> If a client is configured to read for example, German only,
> then server returns "Not Acceptable" error. How can I make it
> return the default?

Ahhh, the eternal problem....

In 2.0 there is the new ForceLanguagePriority directive:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_negotiation#forcelanguagepriority

In 1.3, you have found the only solution (a duplicate file without a
language tag).  See http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/lang-neg.html
for a good discussion of the issue.  You can avoid maintaining duplicate
files by using symbolic links or server side includes to generate the
duplicate files.

Joshua.