httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Shoberg" <jshob...@cbd.net>
Subject mod-rewrite - moving a website ....
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 04:07:33 GMT

I ahve a website which is heavily indexed by search engines.  They often do
direct requests for documents and I would rather not have the web server
send back tons of 404 pages.  THe website structure looked like ...

http://www.mydomain.com
http://www.mydomain.com/index.html

http://www.mydomain.com/page1.html
http://www.mydomain.com/page2.html
http://www.mydomain.com/page(N).html

Is my understanding correct that mod_rewrite can take a request for
/page1.html and internally make a request to
/articles/viewdoc.php?v=page1.html such that it is transparent to the
browser-agent?  Could someone provide a simple example of this?

Thanks