httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: minor vent.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:00:12 GMT
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> (I'm going to unsub from this mailing list now, so if you feel
> the need to vent back at me, please do it privately, so as
> not to pollute this fine mailing list anymore than necessary).

It's rather poor form to pollute the forum yourself and then
duck out of taking the consequences.. <grin>

I'm ccing the list because this *does* come up occasionally.  I
handle the mail sent to the Foundation's general eddress, so
it seems appropriate that I speak up.

> Sure, I could probably build lynx on my webserver but in general,
> why should I have to build a piece of software in order to
> retrieve the source to Apache when every reasonable operating
> system comes with a decent ftp client, and there are a lot of
> relatively decent ftpd's that you folks could use?

There are a number of reasons we have chosen to support HTTP
only, and not ftp.  Three of those are: security, virtual hosts,
and security.

If you trust us enough to use our software, why do you choose
to DIStrust that we have valid reasons for our configuration?
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"