httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: logging MAC address of the client machines
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:27:56 GMT
arrchie@cosmic.net.au wrote:

> Hi,
> Theres a website which you can visit which is able to get your mac address
> just by visiting their site..
>
> Surely its possible if they can do this?

And where is this wonderful website? How would it get the MAC address of
my home PC which I connect via a modem and doesn't even have a NIC?

I suspect the only way you could do this would be with a Javascript or
Java program which runs in the client and somehow extracts this from the
system (though you'd need to be a real Java wizard to do that). The MAC
address of the client is certainly not in the HTTP request.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.