httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Apache crashing/generating errors on Win32 when 404 encountered
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:44:01 GMT
Matt Parlane wrote:

> Howdy...
>
> Hopefully the subject line explained it... but I'll explain a bit more
> anyway.
>
> I have been using IIS5 up until recently, and have now switched to Apache
> because of the recent bombings on IIS, and also because I find it's
> basically unreliable.
>
> Apache is running fine with PHP 4.1.1, but I have one site for which I want
> a 404 error to be handled by a PHP script, and Apache keeps giving errors
> when it encounters the 404.
> It adds an error to the error log, and it also throws a dialog box on the
> screen of the server saying
> "Apache.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows\nYou will
> need to restart the program\n\nAn error log is being created."

You say PHP works already - are you sure that's true for PHP files in
the error-dir?
Please post the relevant part of your config (should be like:

ErrorDocument 404 /error-dir/error_404.php

and also the bit where you allow/enable PHPs.

Also, what exactly do you get in the error_log and in the access_log?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.