httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: RES: Virtual Hosts and SSI's
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:03:52 GMT
Tom Ray wrote:

> That's what I thought, but when I view the page on my local machine the
> CSS do no work at all.. but when I upload the same file to the actaul
> web server (also a red ha 7.1 box) they work like a charm.

Hang on - what do you mean by "view the page on my local machine". Are
you using the web-server? i.e. are you going through a URL? You are not,
by any chance, using File -> Open Page -> Browse... If you are, then
watch out - all internal links will have to be relative in this case and
this can get messy. I would recommend always to use absolute paths (e.g.
href="/foo/bar.html" instead of href="../foo/bar.html") and always
browse the site via a webserver - never browse the pages directly from
the filesystem.

Your problem is certainly that the browser cannot find the file
containing the CSS definitions (check in the access_log and error_log to
see what it's looking for). Remember that CSS application is entirely
client-side - the server can only supply the file, it is up to the
browser how to apply the styles (see how far you get with Lynx, for
example...)

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.