httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: RES: Keeping the address in the address field of the browser
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:36:51 GMT
> This can be done with JS(JavaScript). I think it's the window.status object.
> You could allways use a frame so that whenever you click a link the address

Frames, JavaScript, whatever - the point is that the questionner is
trying to control client-sided behaviour from the server. It is up to
the browser whether it wants to display the URL it just fetched.

If your customer's browser has JS switched off and if he displays the
frame in a separate window he will defeat your ingenuity and see the
proper URL. The whole idea of hiding the URL is daft - if you suceeded,
you'd make it impossible to bookmark or to send a link to someone or
even to guess if the content is interesting for you from the URL. This
is not how the web was intended to work.

The URL is a useful piece of information and you do your customer's a
disservice by trying to prevent them from viewing it. The idea that is
"looks nicer" is just personal opinion - what if your customers
disagree? I certainly would...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.