httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Please help a newbie
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:42:36 GMT
Greg Liapis wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your response Owen. But the same thing happened when I
> installed Apache in a computer which was connected to the network of my
> University(with a static IP) and tried to access it from my home. Do I have
> to change anything in the configuration files (ServerName or something like
> that?).

If we assume you have an unrestricted connection (did you check in the
TransferLog and snoop the network interface?) then, indeed, ServerName
could be the problem. Apache uses ServerName to make self-referential
URLs - that is, when you type in the browser:

http://ip-addr/banana, if apache can't find a file called "banana" in
your documentroot, it replies with a redirect to
http://<ServerName>/banana/ - i.e., it adds a trailing slash. The best
situation is to have a proper DNS domain-name and use this for
ServerName and requests. But if you don't have one, set ServerName to
the IP-address. Also, try the browser requests with and without trailing
slashes and try accessing files you know exist, e.g.

http://ip-addr/foo/bar.html  <-- that should always work.

But I do advise you to look in the access_log and error_log when you are
hitting the server and see what it is doing.

rgds,

Owen Boyle.

> I am really surprised that you know the greek word for money. Have you
> visited my country?
Vevia, poli fores! Ego eimai Skotzezos kai m'arezi poli Elladha.