httpd-users mailing list archives

From Maurice Wahl <m-w...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: performance calculation with ab tool
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:17:19 GMT
Hi,

your calculation is correct, but your testbed isn´t. ;-)

ab request a single file a certain number of times with a certain
concurrency. As long as your file is smaller than the main memory of your
server box, your OS will keep the file in DRAM just like squid does, hence
the marginal difference between your measurements.

My approach - yet unfinished - is to start multiple ab instances on several
machines and request different files from the server (concurrency=0). All
files together shall be much bigger than the main memory of the server, in
order to avoid OS internal caching. The problem is always to generate
´correct´ stimuli for the server, but this setup should generate useful
numbers for the performance. Adoptions may be required for measuring squid
performance.

Regards,
Maurice

PS: Are there any suggestions for cheap performance measuring of Apache? I
found webbench from Ziff-Davis and the above mentioned ab. Anything else?