httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dave Dribin <dave...@dribin.org>
Subject Re: GNU layout issues with encap
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:07:40 GMT
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:52:06AM -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:

> > From: Dave Dribin [mailto:dave-ml@dribin.org]
>
> > I am upgrading to Apache 1.3.23 and I've decided to try the GNU layout
> > as it plays much nicer with the encap package system I've got setup
> > for /usr/local.
>
> It sounds like you have a rather special case here.  Why don't you just
> create your own layout in config.layout based on the GNU one, but with
> whatever changes you want.

Well, it may be a special case, but ./configure is acting broken.  It
eliminates the suffix because it thinks it is already installed in a
unique path.  However, once epkg installs the sym links, it is no
longer unique.  Besides, I want the GNU layout, and it's not giving me
the GNU layout. :) I found this open PR describing the same problem:

  http://bugs.apache.org/index.cgi/full/4634

It looks like quite an old PR, but it even states that neither way is
really "correct".  Thus, I've attached a patch against 1.2.23 that
adds a --force-suffix option to ./configure that overrides the suffix
elimination check.  This keeps the default configuration compatible
with the current behavior while fixing the PR and allowing the user to
decide which behavior is correct.

-Dave