httpd-users mailing list archives

From Terry Davis <tda...@birddog.com>
Subject Re: AuthName realm does not work correctly
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:48:43 GMT
silly me....in a URL, I referenced the full URL not a relative:
http://foo/bar/index.html
rather than
/bar/index.html

IE seems to think things are different if a full url is used....
Mozilla is a little more intelligent and does not prompt for re-auth when a
full URL is present.

--
Terry Davis
Systems Administrator

Quoting Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca>:

 On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Terry Davis wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I have a few different directories that I have .htaccess in.
 >
 > I have the same "AuthName" for each directory.
 > If I login to one, shouldnt it NOT ask me for the username and password
 since I
 > authenticated for that realm already?
 [snip]
 > I have the exact same .htaccess for another directory but it asks me to
 > authenticate again.
 >
 > Any ideas?

 To start, it is really completely at the discretion of the browser whether
 it reprompts or not.  You can only give clues.  So you should try with
 multiple browsers and make sure you have the same behavior.

 One thing to check is that you are accessing the two directories under
 EXACTLY the same hostname.  If you access one as example.com and another
 as www.example.com (even if these are, in fact, exactly the same site),
 the browser must ask again for the password.

 Joshua.