httpd-users mailing list archives

From Luke Scharf <lsch...@ee.vt.edu>
Subject Apache + mod_auth_pam + WebDAV
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:07:39 GMT
I'm attempting to authenticate certain directories using Linux's PAM
facility.  Ideally, we'd like to allow users to edit their
$HOME/public_html directories via WebDAV  I'm aware of the security
risks, and we've carefully considered them in light of our situation.

Anyway, I've set up an isolated test-directory and can connect to it via
cadaver, so WebDAV seems to be working.  Now, I want to authenticate
users before they can edit files.

My <directory> entry looks like this:
    <Directory "/var/www/mod_dav">
        DAV on
        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        SetHandler auth_pam-handler
        AuthPAM_Enabled on
        AuthPAM_FallThrough off
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "WebDAV Secure Area"
        require valid-user
    </Directory>

Whenever I attempt to authenticate a user, the logs/error_log reports:

[Tue Feb 19 10:42:05 2002] [error] (13)Permission denied: access to
/xxxxx/ failed for 127.0.0.1, reason: Critical error - immediate abort
[Tue Feb 19 10:42:05 2002] [crit] [client 127.0.0.1] configuration
error:  couldn't check user.  No user file?: /xxxxx/

and cadaver reports:
Could not contact server:
500 Internal Server Error

I get the same behavior with DAV disabled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
-Luke

--