httpd-users mailing list archives

From "RuneImp" <r...@imptech.net>
Subject Re: Virtual hosts problem
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:28:30 GMT

http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Jarrell - @home" <djarrell2@home.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 5:16 PM
Subject: Virtual hosts problem

Hello all,
This is my first post to this list so please bear with me.

I've been an apache user for months now and I must say that it is an
excellent program. What I've come to now, however, leaves me scratching my
head without a clue. I run a website for my Boy Scout troop which is hosted
on a FreeBSD 4.5 box. I have run a standard install of the server 1.3.22 for
a while now, and have just installed 1.3.23 recently as I reinstalled my OS
on some new drives. I run mod_php4 as well.

My problem is, I would like to set up another site on my server where I
could have a web page for my friends and family that would be totally
separate from the troop's site. I have attempted to do this with apache's
virtual host feature. However, I have run into problems.

I attached part of my httpd.conf file below. The configuration below gives
odd results. The ideal results would be that http://bishop.troop85.org would
get the viewer to the bishop site, and http://troop85.org or
http://www.troop85.org would get the user to the usual troop site.

But, what's happening is that ANY address OTHER than bishop or www takes the
user to the bishop page, http://bishop.troop85.org/ doesn't work at all, and
the only one that gets to the boy scout site is http://www.troop85.org.

I've read some web pages and searched a bit in the archives to try to find a
similar situation, but cannot. I would very much appreciate any light anyone
can shed on this. Should there be some setting in my /etc/hosts file that
I'm missing? What about my DNS? I'm using register.com, so should I change
my domain alias setup? I already have one configured for pointing
bishop.troop85.org to bishop.troop85.org. I hope I've provided enough info
to get this ball rolling.

Regards,
David Jarrell
djarrell2@home.com

#
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *
#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
# server name.
#
<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data/bishop/html
ServerName bishop.troop85.org
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data/PHP-nuke/html
ServerName www.troop85.org
</VirtualHost>