httpd-users mailing list archives

From "RuneImp" <r...@imptech.net>
Subject Re: VirtualHost question (working but need tweeking)
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:21:43 GMT
Why not use a search and replace utility to go through all
the files for you. Search for "hd/" and replace with "/".
"Search & Replace 98" is great (& free) if you can do this
on a Windows machine. If this is a UNIX machine I'm sure
there are similar tools to do this sort of thing. Text is
infinately mutable on UNIX systems if you know how to do
it.

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Stephenson
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:46 AM
Subject: VirtualHost question (working but need tweeking)

Hello,

I have a helpdesk website that was developed by someone else.  They want us to
log onto the site using the following URL.

http://helpdesk.domainname.com/hd and I am trying to get it to where you can
just type http://helpdesk.domainname.com to help the users.  Because all
intranet users will just be typing http://helpdesk .  This all works as of now
(kind of), but I have my document root set to the directory one level up from
the /hd directory that is mentioned in the URL.  The problem is that all of the
code references to all the files with the hd/filename.php.  This creates a
problem because if I tell apache that the document root is set to
/home/httpd/sites/helpdesk.domainname.com/hd I run into the old catch 22.
Apache will find the index.html file, but then the user gets redirected to
another webpage, but that page has referenced to hd/filename.php, so it is
always looking in the wrong directory.  The old way I fixed this was to remove
all the instances of hd/ in all the html and php files.  This is slow and
cumbersome even with a good text editor.

Is there any other way to get this working?  As of now, I just moved the
index.html file into the document root directory and redirected it properly to
the hd/ folder, but unfortunately, I am still getting some errors.

Like I said any help is appreciated.

Paul