httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Charles" <da...@gmx.co.uk>
Subject Apache 1.3.23 on Win 98 SE Winsock error
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:00:29 GMT
Apologies to everyone for my earlier posting under an existing thread. It
was a genuine mistake. I have changed the subject line and am reposting
here.

I have a problem with apache 1.3.23 on Windows 98 SE. The install went fine,
and as far as I can tell I have the configuration right (have tried a number
of tweaks to get things to work). However, every time I try to strat the
server it immediately shuts down. On checking the error log, I see the
following:

[Tue Feb 12 01:03:37 2002] [info] Parent: Created child process -201057
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:37 2002] [info] Parent: Duplicating socket 80 and sending
it to child process -201057
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] BytesRead = 372 WSAProtocolInfo = 020
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [crit] (10091)(FormatMessage failed with code
317): setup_inherited_listeners: WSASocket failed to open the inherited
socket.
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] master_main: Shutdown event signaled.
Shutting the server down.
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] removed PID file c:/program files/apache
group/apache/logs/httpd.pid (pid=-416861)

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the socket cannot be opened?

I have tried everything I can think of. I've made sure I have no firewalls
running, no other services, I've tried using different port numbers, binding
to just localhost, then to just 127.0.0.1 - every time exactly the same
error. I can find no trace of this message on the MS site, although there is
mention of a windows bug which causes an inherited socket to be unavailable
if the parent process is killed. I would have thought, however, that if this
is the problem Apache would not run on Win98 for anyone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Charles