httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kevin DeGraaf <ke...@kevindegraaf.net>
Subject Memory leak issue?
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:52:17 GMT
Background: I'm running a fresh build of Apache 1.3.22 (no external
modules) on Slackware 8.0, Linux kernel 2.4.5.  This server has a P-III
processor running at 1.0 GHz and 1.0 GB of RAM.  This machine has
T1-equivalent bandwidth (1.5 Mbps) available to it, and serves about 20
virtual hosts.  This server is primarily dedicated to Apache (although it
it also runs a very low-usage PostgreSQL daemon and tinydns/dnscache.)

My problem is this: every 12 to 36 hours, I am paged with a frantic "the
site is down!" message.  More precisely, connections are accepted, but the
clients (or users) time out waiting for any data to be served.  Each time
this happens, I observe the following:

1. The total number of Apache child processes is equal to my MaxClients
setting, as verified by "ps -ef | grep httpd | wc -l".

2. The machine's RAM is completely full, and a good deal of my swap space
is in use as well, as verified by "free -mo".

3. The machine's CPU is hardly used at all, as verified by "top -d 1".

4. Issuing an "apachectl graceful" takes care of the problem; all the
virtual hosts immediately return to full speed.

I don't think that I need to upgrade this machine's RAM -- 1.0 GB should
be more than sufficient for the task at hand.  I also don't want to
periodically HUP Apache -- there has to be a better way.  What am I
missing here?

If it makes any difference: we just deployed an e-commerce application,
developed in-house in Perl, on a very busy vhost.  I thought that Perl
automatically reclaims data-structure memory.  Could this have anything to
do with it?

I'd be happy to make my httpd.conf file available, but I really didn't
change it that much from the default.

Kevin DeGraaf
Systems Administrator
Solidus Design, Inc.