httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: tricky password protection
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:36:20 GMT

> From: Jason Signalness [mailto:jsignalness@btinet.net]

> I made a confusing typo in the below message.  Sorry... It's corrected
> here.  Subdir "B" is supposed to only be accessible to users listed in
> password file "B".
>
> Jason Signalness wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got a problem that I've been dealing with for a while.  I want to
> > have two different password files for two different directories and one
> > is a subdirectory of the other.
> >
> > Ex:
> >
> > All files in /opt/bb/www and any subdirectories (except the one
> > mentioned below) should reference password file A.
> >
> > /opt/bb/www/subdirB and all subdirectories/files should reference
> > password file B.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  I can only get subdirB to be accessible by
> > users listed in password file A.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

I've never tried to do this, but I'm guessing it can't be done in your
current setup.  What I would do is this:

1. Move subdirB to /opt/bb/subdirB.

2. Add the following to httpd.conf:
Alias /subdirB /opt/bb/subdirB

3. Protect each directory separately with <Directory> sections that are no
longer nested.

Joshua.