httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: Interpreting Log Information: where can I find directions?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:19:17 GMT

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/logs.html

> 210.83.94.53 - - [29/Jan/2002:22:39:48 -0800] "GET http://www.ebay.com/
> HTTP/1.1" 200 8929 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)"

> What I don't understand:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/
>
> My server is www.digging4roots.com. How can a request for another site be
> made on mine? What does it mean when I see something of this nature?

Somebody is trying to use your server as a proxy server.  Check your
httpd.conf to make sure that the proxy is turned off.  Most likely, they are
not being sucessful.  To check for sure, you can do the following:

telnet www.digging4roots.com 80
GET http://www.ebay.com/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.ebay.com

and press "enter" twice at the end.

If you get your own homepage back, then everything is configured correctly
and apache is ignoring the attempt to use your server as a proxy.  If you
get ebay's home page, then you are running an open proxy, which could be
dangerous.

Joshua.