httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: How to hide implementation specifics in URIs/URLs?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:59:47 GMT

> From: Matthew England [mailto:mengland@mengland.net]

> >for said URI <http://myexampledomain.org/tickets/reserve>,
> >
> >i would like apache to look in the [...]/tickets/ directory for a
> >reserve.* file.  if there exists a [...]/tickets/reserve.py file, then
> >apache immediately throws this .py file at the python handlers.
> if there
> >are multiple matches, ie, multiple files with the same 'reserve'
> but with
> >different extensions, i want apache to decide what to do with the
> >'ambiguous' URI by looking at a prioritized list of "content managers,"
> >probably a list specified by me in httpd.conf.  for example, i envision
> >these lines placed in httpd.conf (and this is completely
> theoretical syntax):

It would be difficult to do EXACTLY this in Apache.  If you look at "Options
+MultiViews", it will serve /tickets/reserve.py if you request
/tickets/reserve.  However, it will not allow you to define a set of
"extension priorities".  If you really wanted that full-blown algorithm, you
either need some very fancy mod_rewrite stuff or you need a custom module.

Anyway, try out MultiViews.  I think you'll find it does 90% of what you
want.

Joshua.