httpd-users mailing list archives

From Al Andersen <apa...@viajante.com>
Subject Re: apache starts but isnt accessible
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:08:23 GMT
I had this same problem Friday on a machine I installed Apache 1.3.22 and PHP
4.1.1 on. The thing worked fine after I compiled/installed Apache. However,
after compiling/installing PHP, no pages would render in Apache, regardless
whether they were .html, .php, whatever. I finally got a clue when I used
Konqueror. It said the link was broken, whereas Mozilla and IE said nothing
at all.

So, I commented the LoadModules/AddModules lines out of http.conf. Sure
enough, the pages now rendered (sans .php of course). That indicated I had
compiled PHP without the proper configuration parameters.

If you're using mod_perl, your probably compiling PHP as a DSO module. If so,
you need make sure you have --enable-versioning, --with-apxs=path/to/apxs,
and --enable-track-vars stated in your configuration parameters when
compiling PHP. I found that bit of info down at the very bottom of the
INSTALL file in the PHP source directory.

Additionally, you might have to make a change to the /apache/bin/apxs file
before you compile PHP. There's three flags that need to be set properly,

$CFG_CFLAGS_SHLIB = '-fpic -DSHARED_MODULE';
$CFG_LD_SHLIB = 'gcc';
$CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB = q(-shared);

My script is at work, so I can't provide the exact details. The above are
what I can remember. If you think the above might be your problem, and are
unable to track it down, let me know and I'll email you my compilation script
on Tuesday.

I hope this helps.

-Al