httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steve" <smar...@mho.net>
Subject httpd.conf <VirtualHost>
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 05:39:19 GMT
Dear users,

I have followed many of the recommended paths for information on
VirtualHosts, specifically name-based virtual hosts, but I can't seem to
make my configuration work the way I intend - any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Facts:
I am a standard user (not <root>, and no admin priviledges> on a Linux
installation (like http://linux.mho.org). I was able to
download/compile/install Apache 1.3.12 in my own directory structure and can
run the http server on port 8080. I have registered two domain names and
forwarded the names to the IP address of the (ficticious) address above...
no problem.

Here's the challenge:
My NameVirtualHost points to my IP address (excluding the port).
I use the Listen directive to cover port 8080 (and 9000 just for
excitement).
In each of my two (2) <VirtualHost> containers, I have ServerName,
DocumentRoot, and ServerAlias defined - one (1) for port 8080 (default) and
the other for port 9000.

Now, when I try to access my URL, I get (following the example above)
http://linux.mho.org:8080 in the address bar, and the correct content that I
point it to (using DocumentRoot). But the second <VirtualHost> doesn't
appear to work (for my other registered name and settings).

-> How can I set up my httpd.conf to accept requests for www.smartin.com and
www.martins.com using the same IP address?

tia!!!

Steve