httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Simison, Matthew" <ma...@conxion.net>
Subject RE: CGI
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:20:34 GMT
The best way to build multiple sites on one server is to have multiple
directories
set up for each customer. Then you have one or tow or however many httpd
binaries you
want, (some may be "slim" for speed, etc..) Then you start each service with
a different
httpd.conf file and directory. Inside each httpd.conf file your create the
directories
associated with that customers stuff, htdocs, cgi-bin, .htaccess, srm.conf,
etc..
Then you have a script that auto starts a file called start which starts
them each as
httpd -f /www/%user%/conf/httpd.conf as that username. this way you can run
many
servers which would all be independent from each other.

You can also do this with one IP, and use the virtualhost tags.
<VirtualHost www.domain.net:80>
DocumentRoot /www/wak/htdocs/studios/
DirectoryIndex studio.html index.html
ScriptAlias /cgi-studios/     /www/wak/htdocs/cgi-studios/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.domain.org:80>
DocumentRoot /www/wak/htdocs/studios/
DirectoryIndex studio.html index.html
ScriptAlias /cgi-studios/     /www/wak/htdocs/cgi-studios/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost old.domain.com:80>
DocumentRoot /www/wak/htdocs/jack/
ServerName  jack.simison.com
DirectoryIndex jack.html index.html
ScriptAlias /cgi-jack/     /www/wak/cgi-jack/
</VirtualHost>