httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fred Koschara <wfr...@L5Development.com>
Subject Re: Installing apache-modssl port
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 16:05:34 GMT
At 03:15 PM 1/3/02 +0300, Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com> wrote:
>There was a problem though.... the mod_perl part did not go well and I had to
>leave out one build option. The --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
>seems to break things and I had to leave it out (not knowing the
>consequence ;-)).
>
>Well now I have a running apache but still it can't parse the .php files.
>Instead
>it still displays the php code.

You HAVE to have the --activate-module=libphp4.a line, or it's not going to be
available to Apache.

As explained in the PHP INSTALL file:

    QUICK INSTALL (Static)

    $ gunzip -c apache_1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    $ cd apache_1.3.x
    $ ./configure
    $ cd ..

    $ gunzip -c php-4.0.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    $ cd php-4.0.x
    $ ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x --enable-track-vars
    $ make
    $ make install

    $ cd ../apache_1.3.x
    $ ./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
     (The above line is correct!  Yes, we know libphp4.a does not exist at
      this stage.  It isn't supposed to.  It will be created.)
    $ make
     (you should now have an httpd binary which you can copy to your Apache
      bin dir if is is your first install then you need to "make install" as
      well)
    $ cd ../php-4.0.x
    $ cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini
    You can edit /usr/local/lib/php.ini file to set PHP options.
    Edit your httpd.conf or srm.conf file and add:
      AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

It's a little more complicated than that with mod_perl, but not terribly so.
I first built mod_perl, then used this shell script (run from the Apache
directory) to build Apache:

    ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
    cd /software/PHP/php-4.1.0
    ./configure --with-apache=/software/Apache/apache_1.3.22 \
                   --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
                --with-openssl \
                --with-pgsql \
                --enable-trans-sid \
                --with-zlib
    make
    make install
    cd /software/Apache/apache_1.3.22
    # configure MUST be re-run after upgrading PHP
    ./configure --enable-module=most \
                --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a \
                --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
                --enable-shared=max \
                --enable-suexec --suexec-caller=httpd --suexec-docroot=/web \
                --suexec-uidmin=1000 --suexec-gidmin=1000 \
                --server-uid=httpd --server-gid=httpd
    make
    make install

You also need to have these lines in your httpd.conf:
    # Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
    #
    # Note: The order in which modules are loaded is important.  Don't change
    # the order below without expert advice.
    #
          .
          .    (other LoadModule statements)
          .
    LoadModule perl_module                  libexec/libperl.so
    LoadModule php4_module                  libexec/libphp4.so

    #  Reconstruction of the complete module list from all available modules
    #  (static and shared ones) to achieve correct module execution order.
    #  [WHENEVER YOU CHANGE THE LOADMODULE SECTION ABOVE UPDATE THIS, TOO]
    ClearModuleList
          .
          .    (other AddModule statements)
          .
    AddModule mod_perl.c
    AddModule mod_php4.c

-- Fred Koschara, President
    L5 Development Group
For private sector (commercial) space development, visit
	http://www.L5Development.com
L5 Software Development - "out of this world" sites and software
	http://www.L5Software.com
StudioLines.com - Your place on the Internet for local music
	Music, feedback, connections. Tap the power of the Internet!
	http://www.StudioLines.com
How much did your last traffic ticket cost you?
	http://www.StopHighwayRobbery.com
ThmIndxr(tm), the *only* HTML thumbnail/indexer you need!
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?ThmIndxr
wCapLock(tm), makes CapsLock work like it does on a typewriter
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?wCapLock
KeywordGo(tm), provides keyword access to your popular pages
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?KeywordGo
BannerAds(tm), join multiple affiliate programs with one banner
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?BannerAds
My personal Web page is http://www.L5Development.com/wfredk
	Stop by some time!